Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inactivity to Inspiration


This blog has been inactive for a solid six months, though I can’t say that I have been. . . . And neither has the world.

As I write this, just moments ago, a new president ascended to what is still the most powerful, influential and public office on Earth. Whether any of the serious problems facing our planet can be addressed with a mere administrative change in our government remains unclear to me – if not wholly doubtful. However, it is clear that we are standing at the brink of major changes. Not only is there a fever pitch of human voices calling for change, but the sheer force of history is bringing changes upon us – whether we want them or not.

To me, there is no greater challenge than the energy crisis. Energy, simply, is what feeds and clothes the world. And we are running out of it. . . . At least, we are running out of the easiest sources of it.

Of course, this blog is about nanotechnology. But from here on, there will be a far broader focus. I hope to discuss science policy and philosophy of science here as well. And I hope you will join the discussion.

Once change that seems imminent – stemming almost purely from this administrative change – is that science will receive more funding than in the past. Furthermore, science will be charged with the task of feeding, watering and clothing the world. This is a big task for science. Perhaps the biggest task imaginable. . . . Will the Western world’s faith in science withstand the perils ahead? I cannot say. And will science be able to find new ways to feed, water and clothe the world? I believe so, but probably not to the current extent, or to the extent that most people would want.

The earlier focus of the blog was, basically, that nanotechnology is huge. Certainly, nanotechnology will play a serious role in addressing the problems of this new age. . . . And I hope to document this here.

And as I sit here at the Memorial Center at the University of Colorado, easily 1,000 students have crammed into this room to watch Barack Obama make his inaugural address to the American people. To them. To you. To me.

I’m not completely sure how to feel. But I can say this: As the “Star Spangled Banner” was sung, for perhaps the first time in my life I felt true pride in being an American. Not, necessarily, because of the historic implications of who our new president is – a black American and a left-winger – but because, like it or not, we remain one of the most advanced and most powerful nations on Earth; and as humanity races headlong into the age of these new problems, we will be taking the lead. There is some pride to be taken in that knowledge. But with this pride in our global responsibilities should also come caution. This will be a chaotic age.

Change is coming for me, as well. I am just a few short months away from completing my graduate studies and entering what I believe will be the Wild West era of science writing. More than ever, we will need informed writers and communicators to sift through the bull, and help educate the public. More than ever, science will be at the forefront of policy. And, because of this, people will need to understand science as something more than just a philosophical substitution for faith. Science must be looked at critically. And recognizing that nanotechnology will, indeed, be huge, I hope this can be a bastion of knowledge for everyone interested.

Thank you.

No comments: